Tuesday, February 23, 2010

For Joe

I couldn't start off writing a blog without talking about Joseph Zarate, my best friend. At the beginning of sophomore year I met him in my World History class and we would go on to have many classes together. Our bond quickly grew and we became best friends. 

I am very easy to talk to. Really. I don't bite. I can keep a conversation with anyone and I like almost everyone I meet. My larger than life personality helps as well and people tend to draw to me.

Joe wasn't any different. We did everything together and absolutely we had the best of times. We played sports together, seen movies together, stayed the night at each others house and most of all we could just sit and ramble on and on and on.

This kid was everything to me. After high school, he went off to Wyotech. A trade school for mechanics and auto stuff. I only would see him on holidays when he would come home but for us that was totally fine. We did not need to call or text everyday we could go months on end without talking. That's what our friendship was built on. 

Finally, in 2008 he was making the move back home. During the summer he came home to clean stuff out and get ready to move back. I couldn't have been more excited to be able to reconnect.

Once he returned home, I introduced him to all of my friends. Like myself, Joe could get along with anyone. He loved to just talk with people about life and always had the utmost respect for anyone. 

After my Boss Birthday party where I turned 22, Joe had made strides within the group. Everyone had taken him in and he was working 2 jobs. But then he got sick.

Sick where he couldn't hang out one night. I thought nothing of it and said that I would catch him later. On the night of Danielle's birthday party I kept getting missed calls from him. I didn't have my phone on me as I celebrated my BFF's birthday. When I got the chance to slip away and call him, my life changed. When his sister answered and told me that he wasn't there I took it as he was out and about and just looking for me. What I didn't know was that he wasn't out and about, he had passed away. 

Tears flowed down my cheeks. I was a mess. A huge mess. I cried and cried. What was meant to be a night of laughs and jokes had now turned into pain and suffering. 

I don't remember driving home that night. My mind was not here. I just got home. I cried all night in bed and the next day. 

Joe always had me in the best interests. He loved me for who I was. On the day of the funeral, so many of my friends showed up to pay respect to him and also to show support to me. It wasn't until this that I knew who my friends were. 

Joe will always be my man. I think on my wedding that I will have something in there for him. 

I love you Joe. 

Always and Forever

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment