Monday, April 5, 2010

Topic of Debate

Tonight’s topic of debate stems from last nights topic of “Bros before hoes” or “Hoes before Bros”, but twisted in slightly a different manner.

Tonight’s TOPIC OF DEBATE: Whether or not to tell a bro his chick is wack or let him be happy.

For the sake of this subject, I am going to begin by trying to stand on the fence on this one. Hopefully, by the end, one side will be more prevalent in determining which way I stand.

A bro, like I stated last night, will for the majority of the time be there. Now, with that comes his “choice of females”. In certain instances, I have had bros with outstanding girlfriends and I have had some with not so much. But just the same as I am judging her, she also is judging me. For her, she is reporting back to her friends giving her opinion on my bro.

Now in the beginning of a relationship, I feel that both individuals involved are trying to set a good example for the friends to see. I mean, I hope that my bros have some kind of decency and respect for the ladies that they have. I know us guys can be slobs but we don’t have to be dicks; the same goes for the girls as well. So early on, our judgments as friends are usually based on what we see. I choose specifically to use usually because other times, we make judgments based on hear say from people or even with conversations with directly have.

Now for our bro, we know him better at this point, Point 1, then his counterpart does. Early on, tendencies seem to reveal themselves about herself. Her viewpoints, her attitude, her comical side. Quickly even though we aren’t directly in the relationship, we have a decent understanding of who she is.

Now say we move on and they have been dating a year, Point 2, and everything that once was in the beginning has now changed. Her viewpoints have changed dramatically. Her respect and opinion towards us bros has changed as well. This person we thought our bro was dating was and is either a fake, has changed, or our viewpoint of her in the beginning was completely off.

Add in her treatment of him, her desire to control every little thing, and the sudden mood swings and now we are dealing with Medusa. Look at her wrong or say something wrong, and our head is coming off.

Do we have a right to stand up for what WE believe in? Absolutely. Do we have the right to sit our bro down and explain to him how things look from our perspective? Absolutely. Do we have the power to let him sit there and be happy when we have reason to believe that she is wack? Absolutely.

The only thing that we owe to our friends and bros is trust and honesty. I know that the friends that I have expect me to tell them the truth. I try not to sugarcoat things. I try. But to be honest, my honesty often hurts or wrecks my friendships. Do I feel that I need to change this to be a better person? No but if I have done my duty as a friend than there is nothing left to do. Its up to him to decide what to do. Not me. I can merely only show him my own perspective. Whether he agrees or not that’s his own.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment